The OPCL Scholarship Committee is pleased to announce this year’s recipient of the Louise and George Lyon Memorial Scholarship is Coren Huff. Coren will graduate with honors from the Global Studies and World Languages Academy at Tallwood High School where she has distinguished herself through her academic achievement, extracurricular activities and community volunteer activities. Coren will attend Virginia Tech in the fall to pursue a double major in International Relations and Spanish, and a minor in Ecological Cities. In her essay she stated: “I hope to one day enter a field that contributes to sustainable development in Latin and South America that will serve communities for years to come.”
GEORGE AND LOUISE LYON MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
- The Lyons were lifelong members of the Ocean Park Civic League and dedicated a good portion of their free time to serving the community in which they lived. They were especially committed to supporting the Ocean Park Volunteer Rescue Squad which was the first all volunteer rescue squad established in Virginia Beach and that is still in operation today on Shore Drive.
- This scholarship recognizes student achievement and encourages community volunteerism. This scholarship provides a yearly grant of $1000 for up to four years to the selected student who must be graduating from a Virginia Beach high school and who will attend a college, nursing program or accredited post secondary career/vocational school in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The scholarship is awarded based on need for financial assisstance, overall qualifications and a record of community service by the applicant. Additional consideration is given to residents of Ocean Park.
In early June of 2022, Betty Dierstein, OPCL Scholarship Committee Chair, presented Carly Lundgren with the 2022 Louise and George Lyon Memorial Scholarship at the First Colonial High School Awards Ceremony. Carly will be attending Roanoke College in the fall pursuing a degree in Environmental Science. She is graduating with a 4.0 grade point average and was captain of the First Colonial Girls’ Volleyball Team. She will also be playing volleyball for Roanoke College. One of Carly’s varied volunteer experiences was serving an internship with Lynnhaven River Now last summer. She assisted in developing a curriculum for young campers to help them see the important of caring for the environment.
Carly expressed her sincere appreciation to OPCL for this assistance with her college expenses.
Recipients of the 4 year scholarship:
- 2021 Taylor McOrmondattending James Madison University
- 2020 Hanna Swickard attending Old Dominion University
- 2019 Amberly Butler attending Virginia Tech
Learn more about Ocean Park Volunteer Rescue Squad here.
[opens in new window]